Friday, May 17, 2013

The Dominican

I just made an Etsy shop a week or two ago and I am selling jewelry that I have made to help me pay for my trip to the Dominican Republic this year.

This will be my third year going on the trip, and the first time I will be going without my family (other members of my church are going- just not my family).

The first year we went I absolutely fell in love with the entire community of Sierra Prieta. But more specifically I fell in love with these munchkins. The one on the left is Yomi (shes the oldest) and the one with the glasses on - her name is Yojeidi. I instantly connected with them, and each day when we would open the gates to let the children in they would come find me first thing.




When it was time to leave Yomi wrote me a letter and gave me a gift all wrapped up in a lovely piece of floral print paper. She told me that she was glad that I became her friend and thanked me for spending time with her. She also gave me a spongebob keychain.

These kids don't really have possessions or toys, but one of the few things she did have she wanted to give to me as a gift. I felt honored to have found a place in her heart and when it was time to go back to the US I really didst want to go.


When we got home we decided we wanted to get a sponsor child. We went on a few home trips with people from our church to visit their sponsor children and it was awesome seeing the connection that there was between the sponsors and their child.


When we went back last year we got to meet our little girl Jonedi. She is the one with the white beads in her hair. Shes so stinkin cute. At first she was pretty shy around us but after a few days she would run right up to us and hold our hand and just walk around with us!




Here is more of Yomi and her family. Last year she took me to meet her mom. And her mother told me that she was thankful for my friendship with her daughter and that Yomi loved me very much, and because of that she loved me.



Yomi is an amazing girl. I think she is going to go very far. She is very invested in her schooling and she is very smart. She wants to go to college and I believe that she absolutely will be able to. She has the presence of a natural born leader and I hope and pray that she will become everything she desires to be. 


And did I mention that Yojeidi is probably the cutest little girl in the village. GAH! I can't get over how cute she is. Lets all just take a second to appreciate her 








So I kinda love the Dominican alot. It might be in my top 3 favorite places in the world. And I cant wait to go back. But I need everyones help. So take a look at my Etsy shop and buy something. If you don't do it for me do it for one of these little munchkins! 

Blessed be,
dyl 


No comments :

Post a Comment